Vineyard Manager Job Description
Role: Vineyard Manager
Location: Thakeham, West Sussex
Salary: Negotiable depending on experience
Abingworth Vineyard is a wine producer nestled at the foot of the South Downs in the historic village of Thakeham, West Sussex. This family-run vineyard aspires to create award-winning English wines. A sense of fun, quality visitor experience and bringing value to the local community are core to the business.
The vineyard was planted in May 2022 and is just over 9 hectares. With an aim to produce still and sparkling wine, the planted vines include Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Pinot Noir, Cabaret Noir and Chardonnay.
Abingworth Vineyard is a young venture currently focused on establishing the vines and planning for the first vintage in 2024. Additional plans also include a purpose-built modern winery that will be built on site. This is a fantastic opportunity to join an expanding English vineyard in an exciting and growing sector.
- Leading on all aspects of the vineyard and grounds management
- Seasonable maintenance of the vineyards to produce a sustainable quality crop of wine grapes.
- Management of the annual cycle of pruning, canopy management, trellis installation and maintenance of the vineyard and equipment.
- Spraying, mowing, flailing and use of tractors and other agricultural equipment
- Harvesting of crop, liaising with contractors and suppliers
- Record keeping of spraying activities and other production duties
- Leading and implementing actions in the vineyard aligned with our sustainability projects
- Management of the vineyard team
- Liaising and collaborating with the winemaker
- Passionate and detail orientated individual who is keen to join a small growing team
- Ability to define, lead and manage a small team vineyard and harvest team
- Cross functional skills with emphasis on machinery and grounds equipment
- Previous agricultural experience related to producing and harvesting seasonal crop
- Creative, open-minded, organised, and strong communicator
- Confident engaging with customers as and when required to showcase the vineyard
- Strong project and time management skills
- Competent tractor and machinery operator
- Ability to define and manage vineyard management plans including soil and pest management
- Spraying certifications
- Winemaking experience advantageous but not essential
- Willingness to undertake other relevant tasks to support the business as required
Whilst we are still growing as a business and defining several of our employee benefits, we currently offer the following:
- 30 days annual leave (+ bank holidays) scheduled around the growing season
- Pension scheme: 5% employer 5% employee
- Enhanced parental leave
- Learning and development opportunities
Excited at the opportunity to join a growing English vineyard? If you would like to join our growing team, then please send a copy of your CV and a Cover Letter to [email protected]
All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence, and we welcome applications from all backgrounds. Salary information for the role will be shared prior to any interviews.