Assistant Buyer - London
Speciality Drinks Jobs
Assistant Buyer – London
Founded in 1999 by Sukhinder and Rajbir Singh, Speciality Drinks Group is a fast-growing and world-renowned international spirits company. It was one of the first multi-channel, multi-market global drinks distributors and is a leader in its field. Now made up of four group companies, it is an independently managed business and a recent addition to the Pernod Ricard Group since November 2021.
We pride ourselves on our imagination, creativity and ability to source and sell fantastic spirits across the globe. We love what we do and we would love you to come and join us.
If Old & Rare Spirits are your passion, this may be the opportunity for you. We are the largest sellers of premium spirits in the UK and across the globe. We buy directly from main suppliers in the UK, to support this we buy old and rare products through a multitude of channels around the world. As we are a key player in this market, we must keep a good stock holding and are investing in acquiring the right bottles at the right price, always looking into the future and at market trends.
We’re looking for an Assistant Buyer to join our Old & Rare Spirits team. Having a good understanding of the whisky category and an interest in old & rare whiskies and fine spirits is paramount. You will be buying from a variety of sources from around the world and will therefore, need a high degree of flexibility to work at odd hours and sometimes on weekends (when working overtime, you will be compensated with time off in lieu).
The team currently consists of 5 people including a Private Client Sales Director based in Hong Kong.
You will work alongside the current buyers and learn all aspects of old and rare buying including:
- What defines highly collectable bottles
- What makes old whisky & spirits so special
- Market trends in terms of what are the bottles of the future
- All elements on identifying fakes
- You will regularly be involved in sampling very special old liquid
Your unique contribution
Some of your responsibilities include:
- Find required bottles from a variety of sources from around the world
- Stock Control
- Assessing purchase prices, future trends and market analysis
- Scheduling Auctions Calendar
- Buying from walk-in seller/private-customers, follow company due diligence and standard procedures
- Building strong relationships with dealers/contacts
- Quality control: Checking items conditions (e.g. leakage, fake products, etc.)
- Ensure due diligence is carried out on all new suppliers prior to buying.
Your blend of talent
- A clear passion for old & rare spirits and be keen to learn what to look for when buying online from various sources
- Excellent attention to detail
- Previous working experience with high end spirits
We offer great Healthcare benefits, company pension, staff discounts and 25 days holiday to give you some down time.
We’re committed to diversity and inclusion.
We promote diversity and inclusion throughout our business. In our teams, we proactively foster a diverse work force and an inclusive culture – an environment where we can truly be ourselves.
We will assess your application for this role based on your skills, experiences and achievements, not your gender, age, ethnic or educational background or any other such factors. Please feel free to leave these off your CV and application form if you so wish.
Find more new jobs on Wine Jobs UK.